GE's System Integrity Protection SchemesGE offers two approaches for reducing instabilities and overloads on interconnected networks to provide safety and reliability to these networks. These approaches may be combined or used separately.
• Contingency action solutions
• Detection and dampening of system oscillations
The contingency action solutions detects network disturbances and either sheds load or drops generation across the network, to prevent overloads and instabilities in the interconnected network. Similarly, detection and dampening solution will detects inter-area oscillations, takes actions to dampen the oscillations and if necessary, trip the interconnections to prevent networks from collapsing. Systems Integrity Protection schemes (SIPS) based functions are used in both the solutions for detecting network re-configurations and oscillations and for taking control actions to mitigate these effects.
Key Benefits• Improves system stability – enables interconnection of two power systems for sharing of excess generation.
• Enhanced reliability – prevents instabilities from cascading to other parts of the interconnected networks.
• Enables more renewable energy integration – detects and prevents small signal oscillations associated with integration of these new energy resources.
Contingency action solutionsGE's contingency action solution measures the power flow at key points in the network, detects disturbances in the network and takes action to stabilize the load and generation across the network.
How the solution works• Detect major changes in any of the connected networks (faults)
• Measure overload in interconnect and associated voltage and frequency changes
• Shed load to reduce load on interconnect
• Drop generation to reduce overvoltage, over frequency
• Trip the interconnect if required
• Automatic actions under 250 milliseconds
Detection and dampening of system oscillationsUsing Synchrophasor, GE's oscillation detection and dampening solution measures the power flow across the interconnect and detects network oscillations. When it is determined these oscillations will not heal itself, the solution will attempt to dampen the oscillations and if needed trip the interconnect.
How the solution works• Detect prolonged/growing interconnect oscillations
• Trigger network damping circuits such as Power System Stabilizers (PSS) to dampen oscillations
• Temporary shed load to dampen large oscillations
• Temporary drop generation to dampen large oscillations
• Trip the interconnect• Millisecond to second response time